Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

ellies.

image found here

My daughter and I are kindred spirits in that we are both in love with elephants. To avoid the trap of having elephant themed everything, I have been carefully finding additions over the past twelve years and now have approximately eight cherished pieces.

When I was pregnant with my second child, and having already had a son, I walked past a children's boutique and saw this insanely soft, stuffed elephant in the window. I was literally compelled to purchase it to give to my daughter that I knew I was carrying but had yet to have confirmed by medical technology. Sure enough, we had Grace and when we brought her home from the hospital she had her very first Ellie. From the moment she could grasp something, she grabbed hold of it's trunk and has yet to let go. Ellie has gone on every family vacation, every outing to the park, has wiped every tear, been tucked in bed every night of the past eight plus years and is as much a member of our family as everyone else.

Grace has purchased almost every stuffed elephant she has laid her eyes on and in true Grace fashion has named each and every one of her 28 elephant collection... you guessed it... ellie. But the original Ellie is still her one and only.

When I came across this photo, it made me think of me and my daughter. We look totally different yet we are so much alike. Every day we share together is a gift. Today's blog cookie is for you.

rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment